Blog Post #2

 

    Throughout my academic journey, both in K-12 schools and at Florida State University, I have extensively used Microsoft Word for numerous different assignments such as essays and research projects. In my K-12 schools, Word was the standard tool for writing and formatting papers, so I became very comfortable with its features such as spell check and the tool bar. Now, at FSU, I continue to use Word for individual assignments such as essays or drafting discussion posts. However, it seems as though most of my peers have grown up using Google Docs. When it comes time to start a group project, my teammates always suggest using Google Docs because it makes collaborating on the assignment easier. While I do like the ability to access and save my documents more easily, I have found that I prefer Microsoft Word over Google Docs due to my long-time use of it.

    The ISTE Standard for Educators that resonates with me the most is "Learner". This standard emphasizes the importance of educators continuously improving their practice by exploring and applying new strategies and digital resources. As a future school psychologist, I recognize the importance of staying current with emerging technologies to help me better support student learning environments and development. Through my own learning, I have gained a more in-depth understanding of how digital tools can enhance educational experiences and promote individualized learning. However, one lingering question I have is how can educators effectively balance the integration of technology with traditional teaching methods to ensure all students needs are met.

    I agree with the label "digital native" for today's youth to a certain extent. While many young people have grown up surrounded by technology and have some sort of familiarity with digital tools, this does not necessarily mean they possess in-depth technical knowledge or the skills to use technology effectively in an academic or professional setting. Being a digital native implies an intuitive ease with technology, but many of today's youth still need to develop digital literacy skills. With that being said, I have observed some differences between my technology use and that of my teachers who are considered "digital immigrants". While I can quickly adapt to new platforms and prefer to use technology, some of my professors tend to rely on traditional methods or struggle to integrate newer technology into their teaching. For example, one of my professors last semester really struggled to use Canvas and instead would send us weekly emails and asked us to give him physical copies of our work. I, personally, did not have an issue with this, but some of my classmates noted that it was annoying to print out all their work. Looking ahead, I anticipate that my future students my be even more immersed in technology than I am now as technology is rapidly advancing.

Comments

  1. Hi Maddy! I wanted to start by saying how much I enjoyed visiting your blog page because it is so creative and is giving me ideas about my own blog page. I have not looked into more creative ways to make my blog posts and this is giving me a few ideas! I really liked the way you talked about digital natives and how many young children still lack the abilities found with digital literacy. I have noticed this in my time as a nanny, noticing that children struggle to read things they see on the screen but also the dependance they have on autocorrect as well as talk-to-text. I also liked your comparison to not only digital natives but digital immigrants as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get that if you’ve been using Word for so long, it makes sense that you’d prefer it. I also agree that Google Docs is super convenient for group work! I like your take on the "Learner" standard too; staying up to date with tech is huge, especially in education. And I totally agree about digital natives. Just because we grew up with tech doesn’t mean we automatically know everything about it. That professor struggling with Canvas is a perfect example of the gap between digital natives and immigrants!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts