Blog Post #4

    One of the second grade reading standards focuses on using information from both illustrations and words in a print or digital text to demonstrate an understanding of characters, plot, or setting. If digital, the student would be using online storytelling websites, comic strips, and posters. This standard is extremely important for helping young readers develop comprehension skills by encouraging them to analyze visual and textual elements together. Illustrations can provide key context that supports the narrative, helping students make deeper connections to the story. Based on my current skill set, I feel prepared to implement this standard because of my experience working with elementary school students. Additionally, majoring in psychology has helped me learn more about how children develop literacy skills. When combined, these backgrounds make me feel more confident about teaching to this standard. I do, however, realize that I have never used a digital storytelling platform, which may be challenging.

    The CPALMS Educator Toolkit offers a variety of resources to help teachers teach the given standards. One of these standards includes ELD.K12.ELL.SI.1, which primarily focuses on enabling English Language learners to communicate effectively within a school setting for social and instructional purposes. The resources provided include an assortment of lesson plans, text resources, and student tutorials that are designed to promote listening, speaking, writing, and reading skills. Resources such as these would be useful in my teaching as they allow for interactive ways for students to learn concepts they may be struggling with. For example, a student tutorial could provided guided practice in understanding instructional language if a student struggles to follow directions. By integrating these resources into my teaching, I can hope to create a more supportive learning environment that addresses the diverse needs of all my students.

    Being a proficient Internet searcher is a crucial aspect of teaching as it allows for teachers to quickly find reliable resources which can later be used for lesson plans and in-class activities. Effective search skills allow educators to filter through vast amounts of information, stay up to date on the best practices, and identify credible sources. Of all the Internet searching skills introduced this week, I believe that I will probably use the advanced search operators the most. This tool will be extremely helpful for refining my searches and locating specific information more efficiently.

Comments

Popular Posts